Joseph S. Sano provides strategic advice to businesses in the litigation, arbitration, and resolution of specialized insurance and reinsurance coverage matters involving:
- Professional liabilities;
- Fair claims practices and bad faith;
- Media, publishing, and intellectual property liabilities;
- Environmental impairments;
- Product liabilities;
- Allocation, aggregation, and exhaustion; and
- Policy drafting and new product development for commercial insurers and captives.
With an active practice spanning 30 years, Joe is an equity partner in the firm’s Litigation and Insurance and Reinsurance practice groups and is a member of Prince Lobel’s management committee.
Joe represents businesses in commercial disputes, including the investigation, defense, and prosecution of direct, ceded, and assumed claims. Joe has also tried to conclusion matters involving antitrust and noncompetition and trade secrecy agreements.
As an advocate for business clients in numerous state and federal courts, both in the Commonwealth and throughout the country, Joe’s focus is on the effective resolution of complex civil disputes. He has extensive trial experience in insurance, reinsurance, contract, business tort, and antitrust cases. He has served as national coordinating counsel, directing a team of 18 in-house attorneys and more than a dozen outside law firms in multiparty environmental coverage disputes across the country.
Joe founded and is the principal contributor to the firm’s insurance law blog, Consider The Risks, which addresses current issues in insurance law and risk management. He has written articles and book chapters regarding emerging insurance and reinsurance risks and is a frequent speaker regarding insurance, reinsurance, and electronic discovery matters.
Joe is also a co-founder and a director of the Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association (MReBA), a first-of-its-kind organization focused on reinsurance law.
Joe is a member of the firm’s multidisciplinary Nanotechnology Practice Group, which includes attorneys from many practice groups such as employment, insurance/reinsurance, intellectual property, litigation (including product liability, environmental, and toxic tort litigation), real estate/environmental regulation, corporate, and renewable energy law. The group is active in industry forums and conferences and regularly contributes to publications and webinar presentations. The group also collaborates with strategic partners on the toxicology, scientific, risk management, regulatory, and industry standardization efforts taking place locally, nationally, and globally. Joe concentrates on nanotechnology as an emerging risk.
- New England School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1984
- Framingham State College, B.S., 1977
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, Director
- Michigan Bar Association
- 2010-present: Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Best Lawyers in New England, and Boston’s Best Lawyers (Woodward/White), in the field of Insurance Law
- February 2018: “Cyber Risk and Insurance: What Your Business Needs to Know,” New England In-House
- June 2017: Panelist, “Cyber Impact in Media Policies,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk and Privacy Liability Forum
- October 2016: Panelist, “A Brave New World: Insuring Emerging Risks,” MReBA’s Eighth Annual Symposium
- May 2016: Speaker, “Existing and Anticipated Insurance and Risk Management Issues Facing Nanotechnology Businesses,” Nanotech 2016
- May 2016: Panelist, “The Current Status for Insurance Coverage for Nanotechnology under Various Lines of Liability Coverage,” American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition 2016
- Nov 2014: Panelist, “Insurance for Nanotechnology: The Day After (A Mass Nano Tort),” Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization Conference
- October 2013: Panel moderator, “Risk Management and the Role of Insurance in Nanotechnology Development,” Nanotechnology Conference, Northeastern University
- October 2013: Panel moderator “Today’s News, Tomorrow’s Claims: Challenges and Opportunities for Insurers,” MReBA’s Fifth Annual Symposium
- September 2013: Speaker, “Nanotechnology: Big Risks Come in Nano-sized Packages,” 2013 Risk and Insurance Management Society Meeting
- May 2012: Panel moderator, “Enterprise Risk Management and Insurance for Your Nano Business,” Destination Nano: Concept to Commercialization, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- May 2010: Faculty chair, Key Strategies for Effectively Managing Documents in Litigation, MCLE Seminar
Joseph S. Sano