Thomas R. Sutcliffe’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. Tom’s experience includes representing clients in response to multistate state attorneys general investigations and class actions stemming from data breaches and alleged data privacy intrusions. In addition, he has represented large financial institutions in both foreign and domestic civil disputes and in response to SEC investigations.
In his pro bono practice, Tom has worked on cases before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Boston Housing Court, the Immigration Court, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
After graduating from law school, Tom clerked for the Hon. Karen Nelson Moore on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2009;
- Notes Editor, Boston University Law Review
- Susquehanna University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Represented insurance company client in a putative class action challenging the manner in which the carrier handles automobile claims in Massachusetts.
- Prevailed on behalf of our client, a non-profit health care system, in a commercial litigation matter in which the plaintiff claimed that our client had breached a contract to purchase plaintiff’s product, engaged in unfair and deceptive trade practices and had wrongfully disparaged the product.
- Represented a national advocacy organization submitting an amicus brief to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in a case involving novel and complex questions of administrative law.
- Represented insurers in a multimillion dollar international arbitration.
- Represented an international conglomerate in responding to a multi-state attorneys general investigation into data security breaches.
- Represented an international investment financial company in responding to an SEC investigation targeting possible FCPA concerns.
- Represented a private financial firm in a dispute involving allegations of fraud following an acquisition, which resulted in a settlement favorable to the client.
Thomas R. Sutcliffe
There are no upcoming events at this time.