Alex Breger approaches his practice of intellectual property law as both an engineer and a former IP policy consultant. He has assisted clients with the preparation, drafting, prosecution, licensing, and enforcement of both patents and trademarks in key strategic regions all over the world. Alex is a registered patent attorney licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and has represented clients there in both post-grant review and opposition proceedings.
Alex has experience in an extensive array of technologies and industries, including cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, optics, wireless communications, acoustics, computer architecture, software, medical devices, electronics, nanotechnology, signal processing, travel and lifestyle, and cleantech. He has represented multiple major international corporations, including Bose, Raytheon, Tumi, Skyworks Solutions, Schneider Electric Corporation, The Kraft Group, and Draper Labs. He holds a B.S. in electrical engineering, magna cum laude, from the University of Massachusetts – Amherst.
Before entering the practice of law, Alex served as a project manager at VentureWell, formerly the National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance, where he coordinated a Student Intellectual Property Task Force to promote student entrepreneurship in STEM higher education. In addition to analyzing, researching, and recommending policies for handling student intellectual property at universities and research institutions, Alex also consulted with the nonprofit on various legal matters, such as transactions, employment agreements, and website policies. He also authored an article on “Managing Student Intellectual Property Issues at Institutions of Higher Education,” which was published by the Association of University Technology Managers. Alex also possesses a Massachusetts Real Estate Broker’s License.
Alex earned his J.D. from Suffolk University Law School and served as an editor on the Suffolk University Law Review. He participated in the Intellectual Property Law Student Association and in the school’s Trial Advocacy Clinic. As a law student, Alex interned in the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office in the Criminal Bureau, Appeals Division, and served as a clerk to the Honorable John C. Cratsley of the Massachusetts Superior Court, Suffolk County Division.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, B.S. in Electrical Engineering, summa cum laude
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Bates College, B.A., 2009
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 2014: Author, “Managing Student Intellectual Property Issues at Institutions of Higher Education: An AUTM Primer” Association of University Technology Managers: Technology Transfer Practice Manual Vol. 2
- Managed and prosecuted international patent portfolio of major consumer products manufacturer, counseled client on how to expand worldwide patent protection and simultaneously cut costs, and implemented worldwide strategic plan.
- Counseled start-up security company in acquisition of IP rights and general patent strategy in remote monitoring division. Drafted and prosecuted key U.S. and international patent filings.
- Counseled an AI-driven medical imaging company in proactive IP strategy following major round of financing. Conducted due diligence of existing portfolio to evaluate strategic position within emerging domestic and global markets.
- Prosecuted and enforced global IP portfolio of international travel and lifestyle brand, counseled client on how to strengthen worldwide design and trademark protection. Performed due diligence to evaluate enforcement position with respect to multiple key assets. Drafted cease and desist letters to place multiple suspected infringing parties on notice.
- Defended high-profile fashion brand in trademark opposition proceedings, successfully securing federal registration of multiple trademarks being disputed by competitor.
- Legal Intern, Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office: Criminal Bureau, Appeals Division
- Law Clerk and Judicial Intern to the Honorable John C. Cratsley, Massachusetts Superior Court, Suffolk County Division
Alex E. Breger