Responsive, straight-talking, and personable, litigator Jeffrey T. Rotella works extensively on commercial disputes and construction, insurance coverage, and products and general liability litigation.
Jeff earned his litigation stripes first at the New York firm Devitt Spellman Barrett LLP, successfully defending clients in commercial, environmental, products liability, negligence and probate litigation as well as in insurance coverage disputes. From 2001 to 2014, Jeff was a shareholder at Adler Pollock & Sheehan P.C., and concentrated on contractual and extra-contractual insurance coverage and defense matters, commercial litigation (including large-scale property damage), and catastrophic injury matters frequently involving construction and defense of professionals and engineers. Jeff has appeared regularly on behalf of his clients in state and federal courts and before regulatory and administrative agencies.
Jeff represents a national hotel chain defending against all types of claims.
Jeff understands the big-picture, bottom-line imperatives in any commercial litigation, thanks in part to his deep business experience, and has also provided general corporate law services to small and medium-sized businesses and all aspects of commercial and residential real estate.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1994
- Cornell University, B.A., 1991
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Defense Resource Institute, Member
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Member and Former Director
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Insurance and Bad Faith Law Committee
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- Managing editor, Uniform Commercial Code Reporter-Digest at Boston College Law School
- Named a Cornell Tradition Fellow for academic excellence and community service at Cornell University
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation volunteer, annually assisting in numerous fundraising events
- Favorably defended and resolved a wrongful death suit against his client, a national hotel chain.
- Second chair on trial team that obtained a multimillion dollar judgement for Boston hospital in a dispute with its former president, establishing gross negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and intentional misrepresentations. Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General to prosecute claims on behalf of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in what was among first cases to establish that a hospital network can owe fiduciary duties to member hospitals.
- In a trade secrets case, Jeff obtained a judgment for several plaintiffs, establishing that customer lists created and maintained by individual employees were not the employer’s property and could move with the at-will employees.
- Jeff successfully defended a professional engineering firm against multimillion dollar claims for negligent design and consumer-protection statute violations. As a result of his effective pre-trial motions, the case was satisfactorily resolved for the client at a fraction of the alleged damages and official demand.
Jeffrey T. Rotella
There are no upcoming events at this time.