Katie maintains a diverse practice regularly advising clients on privacy and data security as well as on media and intellectual property law, including matters involving advertising, marketing and sponsorship issues, digital and social media agreements, sports and entertainment.
Katie is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and holds a leadership position with the organization as a co-chair of the IAPP’s Boston KnowledgeNet chapter. She applies her certified, foundational knowledge and broad understanding of state, federal, and international privacy laws, as well as self-regulatory regimes, to advise a wide range of organizations on their legal obligations while creatively balancing their business interests and areas of concern. This encompasses:
- Internal information governance policies, frameworks, and risk mitigation;
- International data protection laws and regulations (including the General Data Processing Regulation [GDPR]);
- Cross-border data transfers;
- Privacy policies and notices;
- Contractual requirements and negotiations;
- Data processing agreements;
- Breach notification and response;
- Data collection and use;
- Social media, online behavioral advertising, and marketing compliance;
- Privacy by design in product development and internet of things; and
- Other significant issues and developments in this rapidly changing area of law.
Before joining Prince Lobel, Katie worked at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP as well as Cetrulo Capone LLP, where, in addition to her data privacy and sports & entertainment practices, she represented Fortune 500 companies in business litigation, product liability disputes, and general civil litigation defense.
Katie had experience in the fields of Communications/Media and Government prior to law school. She worked several years for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in both the Romney and Patrick administrations. In addition to working in Governor Mitt Romney’s Executive Office, Katie served as Legislative Director & Media Spokesperson for the Department of Housing and Community Development, later becoming the Department’s Deputy Chief of Staff.
Katie received her Juris Doctor, cum laude, with a Concentration in Intellectual Property with Distinction, from Suffolk University Law School. She received her Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, Major in Communications and Minor in History, from Boston College, School of Arts & Sciences. While attending law school, Katie was a legal intern with Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley’s Energy & Telecommunications Division. She also was a Judicial Intern for The Honorable Robert P. Ziemian, Boston Municipal Court Department, Roxbury and Dorchester District Courts.
- Suffolk University Law School, cum laude, J.D.
- Boston College, cum laude, B.A.
- Rhode Island
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Florida
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) ― Co-Chair, Boston KnowledgeNet Chapter
- Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association ― Co-Chair of Arts, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee
- Young Lawyers Division of the Florida Bar
- Pioneer Institute, Public Policy Research: “New Leaders” Steering Committee Member (former)
- BBA Intellectual Property Section Co-Chair for the Arts, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee
- November 2017: Presenter, “Business Law and Real Estate,” Practicing With Professionalism, MCLE event
- October 2017: Presenter, “Endorsements and the FTC,” and “Privacy Considerations,” What Every Business Lawyer Needs to Know About the Media Law Maze, MCLE event
- September 2017: Presenter, “ASME Magazine Law Update 2017: Fake News, ‘Alternative Facts,’ and the Crisis of Media Credibility,” American Society of Magazine Editors
- December 2015: Presenter, “Dangerous Waters: Navigating Cross-Border Data Transfers after the Demise of the EU-US Safe Harbor,” Boston Bar Association CLE
Kathryn D. Stone