Sheila K. Meagher, a First Amendment advocate, focuses her practice on transactional legal work and prepublication review for media entities of all types and sizes. She regularly negotiates and drafts a wide array of contracts, including sponsorship, licensing, and event agreements. She is also actively engaged in registering and protecting trademarks and copyrights and in advising clients with respect to contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and other advertising matters, including FTC compliance on native advertising and endorsement matters. She has a special interest in sports and entertainment law.
Prior to joining Prince Lobel, Sheila worked as a sports law and private equity attorney in Boston. During law school, Sheila was employed as a law clerk for the Boston Red Sox, where she assisted the team, the Red Sox Foundation, Fenway Park, and Fenway Sports Management with an array of event agreements and licensing contracts, as well as with sponsorship matters. Following graduation, she clerked for the Honorable Charles E. Butler of the Delaware Superior Court.
Sheila’s dedication to the community is demonstrated by her active pro bono practice. She has assisted nonprofit organizations with corporate formation and tax filings and has also served as a guardian ad litem for youth involved in the juvenile justice and child welfare systems, with a focus on truancy, juvenile delinquency, and child welfare matters. Most recently, she has volunteered for the CORI clinic at Rosie’s Place, which assists homeless women in sealing their criminal records in order to improve their housing and employment prospects.
Sheila earned her J.D. at Boston College Law School and her B.S. in Sports Management at the University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Isenberg School of Management. After recently taking up road cycling, Sheila completed her first Pan-Mass Challenge this summer and enjoys taking in the views of her native Cape Cod from her bike as often as she can.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2016
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management, B.S., 2013
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Women’s Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Named “One to Watch 2021” by the Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Communications Law
- January 2019: “Boy Scouts vs. Girl Scouts: All is Fair in a Trademark War,” Financier Worldwide
- October 17, 2019, “Annual Legal Briefing,” American Society of Magazine Editors, New York, New York
- March 2020, Guest Lecturer at the Boston University for Media and Law
Sheila K. Meagher