Julie Pruitt Barry is a trial and appellate attorney with more than 20 years of experience in state and federal courts including the Massachusetts Appeals Court, Superior Courts, Land and Probate Courts, the U.S. District Court, and First Circuit Court of Appeals. She represents developers, commercial and residential property owners, businesses, and individuals.
Julie’s practice focuses on real estate and land use litigation and permitting, including real estate acquisition and title litigation, prescriptive easements and adverse possession claims, zoning and subdivision permitting and litigation, wetlands, tidelands, and Title 5 adjudicatory appeals and litigation, affordable housing permitting and development, historic districts, and state and federal environmental matters including MEPA, 21E, CERCLA, and RCRA permitting and litigation. She also represents clients in commercial real estate disputes, title and easement disputes, construction litigation, insurance coverage disputes, product liability, and in mediation and arbitration.
Julie successfully defended a developer of affordable housing against an anti-SLAPP claim in the Massachusetts Appeals Court, which lead to an opinion deemed by MA Lawyers Weekly to be one of the Most Important Opinions of 2013 (Coalition to Preserve the Belmont Uplands et al. v. Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection, et al., 84 Mass. App. Ct. 1118; unpublished).
Julie obtained a favorable decision for a client engineering firm from the Massachusetts Appeals Court, which found that a professional engineering firm employed by a town to review the development of subdivisions in the town does not owe a duty of care to a developer or its contractor absent a showing that the developer reasonably relied on the peer reviewer’s advice and the peer reviewer was aware of the reliance. (Meridian at Windchime, Inc. v. Earth Tech, Inc., 81 Mass. App. Ct. 128, 2012).
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 1992
- University of South Florida, B.A., 1988
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States Tax Court
- Real Estate Bar Association, Co-chair Environmental Law Committee and Strategic Communications Committee
- Environmental Business Council of New England, Energy Resources Committee Leadership Team
- CREW Boston
- WTS Boston
- New England Women in Energy and the Environment (NEWIEE)
- Women’s Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- 2017: Named a Massachusetts “Super Lawyer”
- 2015 Top Women of Law Honoree, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
Julie Pruitt Barry