Bob’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on intellectual property and patent litigation. Bob has extensive trial and appellate experience representing clients in patent cases throughout the United States. He has secured favorable judgments and settlements in cases before the Federal Circuit, the District of Massachusetts, the Eastern District of Texas, the District of Delaware, the Southern District of New York, and other venues. He has defended the full spectrum of clients’ intellectual property portfolios by also litigating trademark and trade secret actions. Clients have also asked Bob to utilize his litigation experience in building and evaluating patent portfolios for licensing, enforcement, and defensive purposes.
Bob’s work involves diverse technologies including cellular technology, database and application software, network hardware and software, GPS devices, laser printing, electrical circuitry, medical devices, and consumer products. Bob has been involved in all phases of the litigation process, from pre-suit investigations through claim construction, trials, and appeals.
Prior to joining Prince Lobel, Bob co-founded the intellectual property boutique firms Hayes Messina Gilman & Hayes LLC and Gilman Clark LLC. Previous to that he was a partner at Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo P.C. He also worked as a special assistant district attorney in Suffolk County, and as a clerk in the Drug Task Force Unit of the United States Attorney’s Office.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 1999
- Boston College, B.A., 1992
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Hingham Youth Hockey, Board of Directors
- 2011-present: Recognized as a Massachusetts “Super Lawyer” in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation
- May 2020: Prince Lobel Client Alert, “Federal Appeals Court Software Patent Not Just an ‘Abstract Idea'”
- June 2019: Prince Lobel Client Alert, “‘Offensive’ Trademarks: The Floodgates Have Opened”
- September 2018: “Succeeding in Today’s Patent Monetization Environment,” IAM Magazine Yearbook 2019
- 2015: Co-author of Practicing Law Institute Patent Litigation 2015 Course Handbook: Post-Reform NPE Patent Litigation
- 2015: Panel Moderator, “The Special Issues Arising from Disputes with NPEs,” Practicing Law Institute, Patent Litigation 2015 Conference
- 2011: Speaker, “Getting Your Emerging Company Clients’ Intellectual Property House in Order,” with T.J. Clark, Boston Bar Association Seminar
Robert R. Gilman