William F. Burke, a veteran litigator, handles a wide range of complex, high-stakes cases for his varied commercial and individual clients. Bill’s decades of successful trial experience in both state and federal court, as well as before government agencies, have rendered him an expert on all aspects of litigation, including products, professional, and general liability cases; transportation/common carrier suits; hospitality representation; and insurance and commercial matters, in state and federal courts as well as government agencies.
Since entering private practice, Bill has had an abundance of experience in conducting and supervising arson and fraud investigations for a number of insurers, which has required close cooperation and work with federal, state, and local agencies throughout New England. He works to anticipate and solve problems that impact construction and transportation companies, insurers, product manufacturers, and individuals. Bill represents clients and insurers in high-stakes coverage matters throughout New England and New York.
Bill represents a prominent Boston restaurant/bar group, as well as national restaurant and hotel chains, in all aspects of business, including regulatory, ABCC, Boston Entertainment and Liquor Licensing Board, ZBA, ISD, employment, and MCAD civil actions. He is also experienced in drafting policy guidelines and presenting them to staff and managers.
Bill defends professionals, such as architects, engineers, and dentists, in malpractice suits and also represents a major Boston university in cases of medical and dental malpractice and general liability matters.
Bill is a seasoned criminal defense attorney who formerly served as the intelligence coordinator for the Organized Crime Strike Force, Department of Justice, in their Boston office. Over the course of his work with the Strike Force, he has been involved in all aspects of conceiving and executing a variety of complex investigations and prosecutions targeting organized crime and individuals in the New England area.
Bill is a former shareholder at Adler Pollock & Sheehan PC. Prior to that, he was the founding partner of Burke and McMenimen PC, offering a full range of counseling and litigation services for his clients. Bill utilizes his deep knowledge of insurance and related matters to the benefit of his clients and their insurers.
- Suffolk University, J.D., 1980
- St. Francis Xavier University, B.A., 1971
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- 2012-present: Listed in Best Lawyers of America® in the fields of Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- May 2017: Presenter, “Accessibility Requirements: Common Misconceptions and What You Need To Know,” Prince Lobel Roundtable
- Defense verdict for client in a motor vehicle case in which plaintiff claimed the defendant was at fault in a truck-auto accident that plaintiff alleged had resulted in wholly debilitating and disabling chronic regional pain syndrome.
- Successful representation of Boston Restaurant/Bar Group and national restaurant chains in New England, litigating and negotiating patron tort claims; employment claims
- Directed verdict for asbestos client following close of plaintiff’s case
- Defense verdict for National Restaurant in slip and fall case in Superior Court
- Defense verdict for Security company client in civil rights, assault and false imprisonment case in Superior Court
- Successful motion for summary judgment creating new case law for Workers’ Compensation in Massachusetts
- Defense verdict for Contractor/Developer in construction accident case in Superior Court
- Favorable settlement of Wrongful life case for major university genetic laboratory after close of discovery
- Defense of diet Drug Class Action matters in Federal District Court in Boston/MDL.
- Successful defense and resolution of ADA complaints in federal district court for hospitality clients
William F. Burke
There are no upcoming events at this time.