John H. Chu is a partner at Prince Lobel. Previously, he was managing partner of Chu, Ring & Hazel, LLP and a co-founder of that former firm, which combined with Prince Lobel at the beginning of 2020. His practice focuses on the representation of growing enterprises, venture capital transactions, and mergers and acquisitions. John has represented scores of private and public companies in connection with a range of legal matters, including founder and shareholder arrangements, employment agreements, equity financings, including seed round, private placements, venture capital financings, securities law compliance, acquisitions and divestitures, and other strategic arrangements of various kinds. His current clients are enterprises and individuals engaged in a variety of businesses, including consumer products, services and biotechnology, biomedical, robotics, internet, semiconductor, medical device, software and other technologies.
John graduated from the University of Chicago with a B.A. in anthropology and he earned his J.D. at the Columbia University Law School. He began his legal career as an associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson and then McGarrahan & Heard (now part of Arent Fox LLP) both in New York City. John subsequently joined Bingham McCutchen LLP (now part of Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP) in Boston, where he was a partner in its business area from 1988 until co-founding Chu, Ring & Hazel LLP in 1995.
John is an active member of the Boston Bar Association, in addition to being former chair of the Joint Audit Committee of the Boston Bar Association and Boston Bar Foundation and former treasurer and council member of that organization. He currently serves as a trustee of the Kripalu Yoga Center in Stockbridge, Massachusetts and in the past he has served on other non-profit boards, including Discovering Justice (www.discoveringjustice.org) where he was former chair of its Finance-Audit Committee, and the Boston Bar Foundation. He was also a member of the Massachusetts Judicial Nominating Commission (appointed by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick).
John is married to Lorrayne Dina Chu, an executive and life coach, and has one adult daughter, Danielle, a documentary filmmaker. He continues to play competitive soccer and enjoys traveling
- Columbia University Law School, J.D.
- University of Chicago, B.A.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- New York
- Member, Boston Bar Association and Boston Bar Foundation
- Member, Committee of Discovering Justice
- Co-founder, Chu, Ring & Hazel, LLP
- Director and chair, Finance-Audit Committee, Discovering Justice
- Named a “Massachusetts Super Lawyer,” in the field of mergers and acquisitions, 2008-present
- Trustee, Kripalu Yoga Center
- Former chair, Joint Audit Committee, Boston Bar Association and Boston Bar Foundation
- Former treasurer and council member, Boston Bar Association and Boston Bar Foundation
- Former member, Board of Trustee, Citi Performing Center (formerly The Wang Center)
John H. Chu